Instructions for Practicum 3

At this point in the course you now have detailed knowledge of Congress and how it functions. You also know how issues get translated into bills, then perhaps into laws, and, if so, moved into a bureaucracy that can affect your daily life. The purpose of this assignment is to help you think about what issues in the American government you find to be important and how you might have an effect on these them.

STEP 1: Select one of the following civic engagement activities.

Activity Writing Prompt (Respond to the following questions in a page-long reflection paper)
OP-ED: What is a policy topic you care deeply about? Write an op-ed and submit it to a local newspaper. Email me a copy of your op-ed, and include the name of the newspaper where you submitted it. 1. Why did you select the issue you wrote about? 2. What effect can op-eds have in the political process?  3. What was the process like for you writing the op-ed? How did you feel when submitting it? What was challenging? What was easy?
LETTER TO A REPRESENTATIVE: What is a policy topic or issue you care deeply about? Write a letter to a representative (or a government official) who is influential concerning this topic.  Email me a copy of your letter, and confirmation that you submitted it to a representative. 1. How did you determine who your representative is? Who are they?  2. What effect can letters to representatives have in the political process?  3. What was the process like for your letter? How did you feel when submitting it? What was challenging? What was easy?
VOLUNTEER: Volunteer with a community organization that serves the community. Volunteer a minimum of 5 hours with this group. Email me documented proof (such as a supervisor letter) of your volunteer time. 1. What does your volunteer work look like?  2. What is the role of the organization within the community? What need or issue is the group addressing?  3. How effective was your volunteer work for creating positive change? How could volunteer work (your personal work, or generally) be more effective?
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE: What is a policy topic or issue you care deeply about? Figure out who your state, local, or federal representative is and call them. Email me a copy of your phone conversation script and the number you called. 1.How did you figure out who your representative was? Who are they?  2. What effect can calling your representatives have in the political process?  3. What was the process like for you to call your representative? How did you feel doing it? What was challenging? What was easy?
CIVIC EVENT: Attend a civic event. Civic events include: town halls or local government meetings, protests, electoral debates, planning meetings, etc. If you have a question about what qualifies, just ask. 1. Describe what the event was, and what occurred.  2. Why did this event matter? What role does this event play in the American political process?  3. Do you think your presence at the event was important? Why or why not? 
VOTE: Research how to register to vote. Where would you go to register? What do you have to do before voting? Are there steps or materials you need to bring with you?1. What are the steps needed to vote? Be as specific as possible.  2. What did you think of the process? Did you find it difficult? Were there resources for you to easily register? Who is helped in this process, and who is hurt?)  3. After exploring the process, why do you think younger individuals (18-30) are less likely to vote than older generations? 

STEP 2: Complete the corresponding writing assignment, reflecting on your experience.

STEP 3: Submit your letter/proof of activity, and reflective essay here: https://canvas.alaska.edu/courses/16454/assignments/236542

Note: You will not in any way be graded as to the editorial content of the letter or activity (meaning your opinion or chosen issue plays no role in the grade).

Sample Letter
[This letter is an example of one sent to several people. You are only required to send one, but I thought I would include this format in case you wanted to write several letters. It is older so some of the committee chairs have changed.]

The Honorable James M. Jeffords, Chairman
Senate Environment and Public Works Committee

The Honorable Robert C. Smith, Ranking Member
Senate Environment and Public Works Committee
Senate Dirkson Office Building, Room 406
Washington, DC 20510-6175

Dear Senators Jeffords and Smith,

[state the purpose of your letter in the first paragraph – you can look up all the bills being considered by subject at https://thomas.loc.gov – you need not address a specific bill, but it makes your case stronger.]

I am writing to express my concern about the future of the Persistant Organic Pollutants Implementation Act of 2002 (S.2118). It is my understanding that after the markup this legislation was delayed on September 26, 2002. Passage of this important bill is now in jeopardy.

[Tell your story, make your points, and use examples, in the body of the letter. Stick to the subject and be sure to discuss why this issue is important to people besides yourself. Why should you be listened to? Make strong, simple assertions of your point(s).]

Senate ratification of the Stockholm Convention on Persistant Organic Pollutants (POPs) is of vital importance to Alaskans. Persistant organic pollutants, such as dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are now being detected at low levels in Alaska’s environment. Yet, these dangerous chemicals do not originate in Alaska – where their production and use has long since been banned. They are carried to our state from developing countries, where they are still manufactured and used, then the cold climate acts as a sink to keep them there. As you know, the Stockholm Convention targets a worldwide phase-out of the 12 most dangerous of these chemicals.

The presence of POPs affects the health and well-being of all Alaskans, but it is of particular significance to Alaska Native peoples and others who depend on subsistence lifestyles. These contaminants tend to accumulate in the fatty tissues and organs of the animals that make up a large portion of the diet of Alaska Natives and other rural peoples across the arctic. POPs have scientifically demonstrated negative effects on human reproductive, nervous, and immune systems as well as on the animals and their ecosystems in which they accumulate.

I support this bill because it takes a long-term approach to the problem of contaminants. Also included in the implementation legislation is ratification of the 1979 Protocol on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution and a mechanism to add more pollutants to the treaties in an expedited manner.

[Sum up short and sweet, you need not be as detailed as knowing whether Congress is in session but if you are tracking a specific bill it may help. Do be sure to ask for a response so that you are likely to get a letter back. Also, be sure to thank the reader!]

With all the risks POPs pose, I urge you to bring this bill before the committee and the full Senate before the Senate recesses this year. Please reply to this letter and let me know what you are going to do about this issue. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

[Be sure to ask them to reply to you and include your return address so they can write you back]

Sincerely,

Jane M. Doe

458 Any Street
Fairbanks, AK 99775

[then, if you are sending it to other people]

cc: The Honorable Dan Sullivan, United States Senate
The Honorable Lisa Murkowski, United States Senate