Practicum 2: Miriam Stitz

Person 1:

(1) What has been the biggest factor in shaping your political socialization?

• I would say that the major agents of my political socialization were/are my family and ethnic background. Growing up, my dad was always updated on the news, current events, and politics. I have inherited that and most of his political views. I have done my own research and made my own options as well though. 

(2) What areas of social media draw you in the most?

•  For me, and I think most others, it is quick videos, Instagram reels, Facebook videos, or YouTube shorts. It’s easy to get pulled into one and then be on there for hours. It definitely is catered to me and my views, so when I see political things on these media platforms, they either enforce views, or I so strongly disagree with them that I watch more from that site. 

(3) Do you follow any major influencers on social media, or does anyone have any influence over your political socialization? What effect do they have on your ideals/views? 

•  I only follow one or two influencers, and it’s mostly lifestyle content that I’m interested in, and that is why I followed them on social media in the first place. So, I would say that they have little to no effect on my views and ideals when it comes to political or social things. My family isn’t really into media platforms so I would say no major media other than reliable news platforms have any effect on me and my political ideals. 

(4)   What are your ideas on how the American Founding was taught? Do you remember what it is and how you learned it?

• I vaguely remember learning about it in school, what I know is reinforced by the news, and when researching the latest political events. I think that it is something that can be easily forgotten and pushed aside if you don’t stay up to date with the news and government.  

(5) What fundamental political beliefs would you like to share with me?

• Nothing, really, other than maintaining the Constitution and what it stands for. 

Person 2:

•  My political socialization was shaped largely by my parents’ conversations regarding politics. Through this, I perceived the world as I believed it politically operated and how it could operate better. Because of this, how I connected with people and related to them was also shaped throughout my maturation into adulthood and influenced how I chose my friends and the people that surround me, which in turn continues to shape my political socialization daily. 

•  I find that I am most drawn to the responses that people have to the ongoing phenomena in the world. At the same time, I do appreciate knowing “the news” literally; I find myself more intrigued by other people’s responses to the news, in the for of columnist posts, or videos online. 

•  I really do not follow any particular influencers on social media. If I had to choose, though, I feel like asking Pastor John would be a large source of my opinions on current major issues. This would be John Piper. His effect on my ideals is that he explains things within the perspective of the Christian worldview (as well as he can from his own personal perspective).

(4)   What are your ideas on how the American Founding (The Constitution, federalism, legalism… etc) was taught? Do you remember what it is and how you learned it?

•  I do not think that I was taught the American constitution or core values as well as I probably should have, and I hope to be able to understand them better. While I do think that it is good that we are taught the literal content of the ideas that established our country, it is more important to me that we are educated on the historical context upon which those ideas were established. In that way, we are more capable of applying them to current culture.

•  I believe that my fundamental political beliefs are along the lines of core conservative. I believe that individuals should be free to make the majority of their decisions based on their personal beliefs but that the government should intervene on behalf to defend what is good and just. 

Person 3:

•  The biggest factors that shape my political socialization are social media and the news. I follow several influencers who I agree with on a lot of political and social ideals, and so I often take what they say into account when forming my own opinions on things. I also use many of the same news sources they do because I often agree with them and what they promote.

•  The real-life of social media. I like how a lot of the people I follow have daily updates or live streams, and they are consistent in answering questions that their followers have for them. I like that I can, in a way, be a part of someone’s life, and they can be a part of mine without having to know them personally. Even though through how much of their lives is on social media, it sometimes feels like I do know them personally. 

•  Like I said before, I do follow a lot of social media influencers, Ben Shapiro would be one of the more well-known ones that I follow in terms of politics. But outside of politics I follow a lot of people who have their life, thoughts, and ideas, posted on their social media accounts. 

•  I learned about the American Founding in all the government and social studies classes that I’ve taken throughout my education. I think it was taught well and I agree with and think that our country could do better in following it in some ways like caring about voting and protesting and standing up for our rights and freeedoms. 

•  I think that our country should care more about the governent and put more effort into maintaing our democracy and our right to have a voice as American citizens.