Practicum #3

Mason Chandler

The first thing that I did in the steps to register to vote in Alaska was visit the Alaska.gov website. From there, there is a link to register or to update your registration online. To complete this process, you either need a current state license or a state ID. If you prefer to register on paper, you can print out the form to complete, sign, and send to a regional election’s office. If you choose this route, you must include a copy of either your current drivers license, state ID, passport, or birth certificate. If you prefer to complete this registration process in person, you can either visit the division of elections office or a voter registration agency near you. In order to retain registration as a voter, you must complete the form and wait for approval on your application. There are requirements that you must meet if you desire to register to vote and if you want to vote. Some include being 18 years of age or older, being a United States citizen, and not been convicted of a felony. Once the form is processed and approved, a voter registration card will be mailed to you. In order to vote at the polls, you must bring a form of identification and sign your name under your information. Some acceptable forms of ID include a voter ID card, a driver’s license, a passport, or a state ID. If your name is not on the precinct register or you do not have a form of identification, you will be asked to fill out a questioned ballot. This means that you ballot will go in a separate container and the Questioned Review Board will determine if your ballot can be counted or not. You will be notified if your ballot was rejected.

I thought that this process seemed fairly easy to complete. If you have access to the internet and have a valid driver’s license or state ID it is a very simple process online. If you do not have access to the internet, you can register in person fairly easily as well. It may be a more difficult process if you do not have a valid driver’s license, a state ID, or a home address. However, there seems to be many easy resources that give options for people that do not have access to online resources or all forms of ID. People that have the desire to vote and have the resources available to them are helped in this process. People that do not have available forms of ID, no home address, or are convicted of a felony may be hurt in this process. There are many factors that influence people’s likelihood to vote, and I do not believe that the registration process is a very large one. It is fairly straightforward and not at all time consuming. One reason I can think of is having to re-register, if younger generations are moving due to college or work, they might not stay up to date on their registration.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.