Practicum 1- Estella Bailey

This video is a compilation of various moments from the final day of campaigning for the 2020 U.S. presidential election. It shows a variety of strategies employed by politicians to persuade citizens to vote for them. One method utilized relies heavily on a major part of American political culture: the usage of “buzzwords.” In American political culture, nationalism is strong and citizens are keen to protect their democracy and nation. As displayed in the video, politicians will therefore often appeal to a sense of nationalism. Promises to protect the democratic values of the U.S. and assorted freedoms are commonly made, appealing to long-standing American values that are often boasted by citizens. At a certain point, phrases like “democracy,” “our nation,” and “our freedoms” become empty and don’t hold much weight, but nearly exclusively serve to drum up support. This is not to say that these politicians don’t hold such values. Instead, it demonstrates how common of a strategy it is for politicians to say a lot without meaning much; they have gradually become more concerned about resonating with their audiences than making meaningful promises. In the same vein of appealing to nationalism (specifically, the concept that the U.S. is the “best”), both candidates talk about making America “great” or “better.” It is a source of American pride that citizens might consider their country to be one of the best in the world, and candidates want to reassure voters that they will still be able to be proud of their country. Another strategy employed by the candidates is utilizing the voices of others. In politics, it is not uncommon for other well-known figures (whether qualified in the political field or not) to share their opinion in order to try to persuade the public to vote a certain way. This can be harmful in some cases, as Americans may be inclined to blindly follow the “popular” opinion of someone famous, rather than to do their own research and make their own decisions. Although there are other strategies used by the candidates, the methods listed here seem to present an arguably alarming pattern: they are most effective when voters avoid thinking critically.

With this in mind, please answer the following questions:

1. When witnessing or participating in a discussion about politics, have you observed people using “buzzwords”? Was this an effective strategy?
  2. If a celebrity or well-known figure that you like were to endorse a presidential candidate, would you be more likely to vote for them? Why?
  3. The U.S. was founded upon the ideals of democracy and liberty. Are these ideals still upheld by politicians today, as they claim?
  4. In the video, many of the clips showed the candidates largely employing pathos and ethos (appealing to emotions and emphasizing experience). Is this a more or less effective way than employing logos (appealing to logic and facts)? Do you think that politicians should focus on one over another? Does the timing within the campaign matter?
  5. As a future voter, do you plan to think critically and make an educated vote? Why or why not?

I think that this was a good assignment. I don’t have strong feelings for or against it, but I think it works well for us to apply what we’ve discussed in class to everyday life. I think that this is an assignment that you could use in the future.

1 comment on “Practicum 1- Estella Bailey

1. Sarah Curns

This video is an excellent example of the American political culture, it was interesting to see how the parties compared to each other by showing small clips right after the other. I really liked how you pointed out the use of buzzwords in American politics and showed the specific ones being used by both parties. The fact that both political parties use these words really hones in on the fact that things like pride in our country and nationalism are a part of our political culture. The questions you wrote are helpful additions to getting you to think more about American political culture and our place in it. I have definitely seen a lot of buzzwords used in American politics and I don’t think that using them gets us to a place of better understanding each other but more to a place of fighting and disagreement. I think if we were to have conversations about particular topics and what they actually mean instead of just going straight to buzzwords, that would be a more useful way of discussing things.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.