Blog Post 2:

For this assignment and the current elections, I decided to talk with a relative, a friend, and an acquaintance about the most important issue influencing their vote. 

My questions:

1. Who or what would you say most influenced your political point of view?
  2. What is the most important issue in our country that influenced your vote?
  3. What resources did you use to study or get information about this issue?
  4. Are you well-informed on this topic?
  5. What are three other political issues you agree with or disagree with?

JL- My mom is 39 years old; she grew up in rural Michigan and has lived in Texas, Louisiana, and now Alaska. She works as a front desk receptionist at an accounting firm. 

1. “When I was younger, my family was very Christan and attended church at least three times a day; church and Christian beliefs have shaped my idealogy. Another influence would have to be my parents, when I moved to a big city, I quickly left the conservative views that my parents taught me and became liberal, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized democratic policy on the economy just isn’t practical.”
  2. “The economy, paying $4.50 a gallon for gas and over $400 for heating fuel to fill up my tank, is causing my husband and me a small fortune. If we didn’t have the income we have today, we would be screwed. If this inflation happened ten years ago or even 5, I wouldn’t know what to do; we couldn’t afford to live. So I’m voting for candidates to help improve the economy so less fortunate families can afford this in this already expensive state.”
  3. “I watch Fox News, and that’s where I hear the most about the economy. From there, I do my own research, waiting for inflation results from the Fed. Also, as I mentioned before, I’m living in a poorly regulated economy where gas costs an arm and a leg; there isn’t much research that needs to be done to determine our economy is sh*t.”
  4. “I believe that I am well-informed, but I also believe that there is always more information. I do think I could use more research, but everyone can.”
  5. “From what I’ve said, I think people will conclude that I’m a conservative, but most of my other beliefs align with the democratic party. I believe in abortion access because the government has no right to determine a woman’s healthcare, whatever happened to HIPPA. I also support same-sex marriage, and I hope the supreme court doesn’t overturn Obergefell v. Hodges as they did Roe v. Wade. I also support stricter gun laws, people cant rent cars at 18, but they can buy an assault rifle in some states; that just doesn’t make any sense to me. What’s more dangerous? A car or a Gun? I think we can all agree on an answer there.”

SJ- My best friend is 20 years old and grew up as a military child, so she’s lived all over the world. She works as a Store manager at Target in Maryland. 

1. “When I was younger, I would listen to my parents talk about their conservative views. As I’ve gotten older and have been exposed to other people and experiences, I have been influenced by the democratic party as republican policies are hateful.”
  2. “The most important issue for me this election was abortion access and health care.”
  3. “I grew up in the age of social media, most of the time, I’m scrolling through TikTok, and I come across a piece of information. I google issues I hear about and read as many sources as possible to form a logical argument.”
  4. “I would say I’m well informed unless I believe that my idea is 100% backed up by facts I am constantly researching more on the topic, and I always try to be prepared on the topic as if I’m going to debate someone,”
  5. “Other important political issues to me are raising the minimum wage, Same-sex marriage, and one I disagree with is making the US a Christian nation; I don’t understand how or why that’s even in the conversation.”

AL-I know her from middle school, and she is 19. She grew up as a military child and has lived all over the United States; she now resides in Maryland and is a stay-at-home mom. 

1. “My biggest influences are my parents, and as I’ve researched on my own, my beliefs align with theirs.”
  2. “This will sound bad, but I haven’t been paying attention, and I don’t plan to vote. I guess I would say the economy because my parents constantly tell me how poorly the democrats are running this country.”
  3. “I’m always busy with my son, so the information I have is from my fiance and my parents, who lean more towards conservatives.”
  4. “I don’t think I’m well informed at all, most of my views are other people, but with the election being tomorrow, I don’t have the time to research on my own.”
  5. “I disagree with abortion, but I believe it should be legal; my sister is lesbian, so same-sex marriage staying legal is important to me, and I disagree with stricter gun laws. The second amendment exists for a reason, so stricter gun laws are a big fat no from me.”

Although I had a good idea of the answers, I enjoyed talking with people and seeing other people’s perspectives. I was surprised by my childhood friend; she was always so involved with politics in middle school, and seeing how indifferent she was was shocking. My best friend and I have very similar beliefs, so I knew what she would say. I’ve lived with my mom for 19 years, and her answers didn’t shock me one bit. I think everybody should be able to talk about these topics and have conversations about the solutions; I would 100% do this again.