H.R.6651 – “Alaska Salmon Research Task Force Act”

Dear Senator Dan Sullivan,

I am a student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and I recently came across a bill introduced by our late representative, Don Young, entitled H.R.6651 – “Alaska Salmon Research Task Force Act”. This bill was introduced on February 8th of this year and its purposes are to ensure that Pacific salmon trends are monitored, research is prioritized, declines in salmon populations are addressed, and the coordination of salmon conservation efforts are supported. I write this letter to strongly urge you Senator, to not only support this bill, but also prioritize Alaska native leadership within the task force. This would include full involvement of Alaska Native communities, especially youth, within the Salmon Research Task Force, especially in the villages where research would take place.

As a lifelong interior Alaskan resident, I have witnessed multiple situations where educational intensives or Fish and Game research projects have completely disrupted Native Alaskan villages due to lack of communication. Imagine relaxing in your house to look out the window and find a group of strangers digging around in your backyard collecting entire chunks of lawn and handfuls of dirt. This is how I imagine it must feel as an Alaskan Native to see groups of outside researchers busting into the rivers and streams of your home land and fishing for salmon samples. 

In opposition to past methods of environmental research in the villages, the Salmon Research Task Force should be led and run by Alaska Native scientists, students, community members, and government officials. This task force must truly represent the ideals of the communities most impacted by vital salmon research. I envision a perfect scientific world in Alaska, as one where esteemed scientists grew up in the communities that they are conducting research, a day of sample collection involves the entire community, and each night of the data collection process is a community celebration where everyone comes together to discuss the day’s findings.

Alaskan officials must continue advocating for Alaska Native culture and the increased implementation of citizen science seems like an obvious, necessary piece of this puzzle. Experience acquired with time far outweighs experience acquired through data collection or mandatory Fish and Game staff courses, let us take advantage of that. Complete collaboration and communication with village communities will not only revolutionize the way science works, but will also make Alaska a scientific leader of the world with regards to critical community involvement. The way science works now does not benefit all members of society. I challenge you, Senator, to be the pioneer of Alaska’s scientific revolution.

Sincerely,

Hazel Ann Probst

2 comments on “H.R.6651 – “Alaska Salmon Research Task Force Act”

1. Lucy Penman

Hi Hazel,

This is a great letter that conveys your thoughts and feelings about the issue without coming off too biased. I think that this is a great cause that hopefully Dan Sullivan will take seriously.

2. Alyssa Appel

Hi Hazel,

Since I moved to Alaska, it has been brought to my attention how important subsistence fishing is for certain communities. Salmon is one of Alaska’s more important resources, and I think you worded your letter really well.

Alyssa