Cameron Piscoya

The clip is from 1948, Mike Mine Freedom. This explains most, if not all, core concepts in the first two chapters. The video is attempting to show how easy it can be to strip an individual’s freedom by appealing to them. They way someone can appeal to you can cloud your better judgement. Thinking for oneself has always been important for individualism. The video shows the importance to critically think for oneself and to work as a community to ensure no one is trying to sell them socialism, communism or fascism. 

Dr. Ism tries to sell a blue-collar worker, executive, farmer, and a politician a drink that will increase wages, increase profits, provides grains, and gives state control in exchange for their freedom, their children’s freedom, and children’s children. Dr. Ism appeals to each individual and they all want to sign their freedom away, along with their children’s. However, the individual John Q Public reads the contract and ask the four other individuals to take a drink to see if they want what he is pushing to them. When they take the drink, their basic freedoms are stripped away. The blue-collar workers right to strike was taking away. The business executive takes his case to the supreme court, but the state is now the supreme court. The farmer is turned into a state farm slave. His livestock taken away from him. The government is now the media. 

1. Stopping at 3 minutes and 55 seconds. What is something the four lacking?
  2. What resources do you have today that you might not have in 1948 to critically think on issues? 
  3. You see common folks at 5 minutes 39 seconds and they are bashful that they are capitalist, why do you think that?
  4. If Dr. Ism were appealing to your, which freedom would he want to take from you and why?
  5. When John Q Public brings up Dr. Ism trying to pit each other against one another. How have we, as a society, been able to stand up to someone like Dr. Ism in today’s world?  

This is was an interesting assignment for myself. I would have preferred the post into Canvas.

4 comments on “Cameron Piscoya

1. Tim Fewless

tCameron,
    When you watch an old clip like this it is important to remember the historical context. This is a couple years after the end of World War II and the beginnings of the Cold War. This was intended as a educational (and somewhat propaganda piece) about the dangers of falling for the lure (and never fulfilled promises) of Communism. That being said it is also a good tool to show students to discourage the following of politicians who claim they have all the answers. In this piece they compared them to the “Snake Oil Salesmen” of the late 19th century. I tend to agree! I favor a politician who admits they don’t have all the answers but is willing to make an honest attempt at offering solutions.
    Good post,
    Tim Fewless

2. Tim Fewless

Cameron,
    Good post,
    Tim Fewless

3. David Misyura

This is an interesting topic, and certainly a good one to discuss with students that would’ve read chapters 1-2 of the textbook. Since they would’ve learned about the various government systems, they’d be able to pickup on the ones discussed in the cartoon. To me, the cartoon’s point seems as relevant today as it was back then, as people look for solutions to our current problems. Overall, this post has a good video and write-up, and would serve well in a classroom.

4. Kyle Banning

I enjoyed your video, it reminded me a lot of the book Animal Farm by George Orwell. It was interesting how it showed the positives of capitalism and then the negatives of socialism, communism, or fascism, instead of just showing one side. I also thought that the parallel the video present between a snake oil salesman and Dr. Ism was creative. I think it helped to drive home the point that while capitalism is not perfect it’s much better than the alternatives. Who knew a cartoon could be so effective at teaching people about capitalism and why its preferable.