Alyssa Appel Practicum 1

This clip is a performance of a song that reflects core American beliefs involved in our political culture. It’s a song from a musical called Paradise Square that is scheduled to be premiered by Broadway this upcoming March. The original Paradise Square is based on another musical by the name of Hard Times. It was performed in Berkeley, California by the Berkeley Repertory Theatre. The musical is set in a slum known as the Five Points in Lower Manhattan, New York City 1863. Taking place during the Civil War, it features a melded community of Irish immigrants and African Americans. The period of racial harmony between these groups is ultimately torn apart by the war itself when Lincoln institutes the first Federal Drafts and riots ensue. The song “Paradise Square” portrays the racial harmony experienced in the Five Points. Throughout it echo themes that illustrate American political culture–egalitarianism and individualism–exploring what it means to be an American. 

American political culture centers equality and individualism. The American value of equality is invoked in the preamble of the Declaration of Independence: “all men are created equal.” One way this clip shows this core value is during the lyric, “we’re just as much American as any other man.” It’s an example of equality because the Irish immigrants and African Americans are not any less American because of who they are. “Any other man” is what really highlights this idea of equality. Despite issues fighting to be treated equally at the time, they knew it wasn’t something that had to be deserved. It’s a right they have as “any other man.” Another key theme illustrated in this clip is individualism. Individualism promotes being self-reliant and independent. American individualism goes back to the Declaration of Independence stressing the importance of an individual’s pursuit of happiness as an unalienable right. The lyric “we love who we want a love” is a good example of this.

Discussion Questions:

1. What line stands out the most to you and why?
  2. List a part of the song you think demonstrates a concept in American political culture. Explain. 
  3. Based on what you now know of Paradise Square, do you think you would be interested in seeing it someday? Why or Why not?
  4. How has the core American value of individualism evolved over time?
  5. Do you think products of American popular culture today demonstrate political culture? If you do, give an example, such as a show, movie, or song.

I found this assignment to be very engaging and exciting. I had fun looking for a clip I thought students might enjoy that could also pose as a teaching tool. Coming up with five questions was way harder than I thought it would be, but I think it was a great learning experience. I enjoy getting a chance to do an assignment beyond the standard reading and writing ones in most of my classes.

2 comments on “Alyssa Appel Practicum 1

1. Ivan Edwards

I think that your video is a great example of a part of American political culture, because everyone wants to be free. Everyone wants to be able to do what they would like to do. As stated in the song, they, as well as everyone else, wants to be able to write their own story.

2. Jewel Blanchard

Hi Alyssa, this is such a neat video and take on the assignment with your video being a song demonstrating the American core beliefs. The lyrics of this song are so powerful and certainly reflect the core beliefs. This song is making the argument through the American core beliefs that they are all American and deserve the treatment that others get. This is a great post.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.