Libbey Gionet

The video above is a Levi’s jeans commercial that promotes different core values and beliefs about America which demonstrates an aspect of our country’s political culture. It is important to note that a simple clothing advertisement can hold and convey such great and deep meaning. This short video clip is showing various people from different walks of life across the United States of America. The creators simply pair a single word or a short phrase with each clip to depict the meaning behind the words. Such words share America’s core values throughout the clip. One can also see important patriotic symbols including the American flag and fireworks throughout the clip. These small symbols represent the history of our country. The American flag signifies our country’s history and the fireworks can be seen as the celebrations of our many freedoms.

The first core value introduced is that of equality. Equality is a well-known shared value and belief in the American political culture. The video emphasizes that in America all are to be equal no matter the differences. Differences in the video included being “grown” versus “ungrown” or “young” versus “old”. A strong sense of equality will bring about a strong unity among citizens. It also states that America offers freedom, law, and love to its citizens. Possessing freedoms and gaining the access to equal protection under the law are core civil rights that the American people value. They are rights that have been brutally fought for. The words “capable” and “strong” could possibly be tied to individualism, another important part of American political culture, which highlights the true power of a person. Individualism is a crucial value to people across the United States because they are free to be self-sufficient and not be domineered by a tyrannical government. One is able to see that this clothing commercial is able to promote both their product and shared American ideals through a quick one-minute segment.

Discussion Questions:

1. What are some similarities and differences between the people presented in the video?
  2. Have you ever felt less worthy than someone else because of who you are?
  3. Why do you think this advertisement is effective or ineffective?
  4. Imagine you were tasked to make a commercial for Levi’s and had to incorporate common American core values and beliefs. What would you include?
  5. Would this kind of advertisement work with any kind of product?

I really enjoyed this assignment. It made me think beyond the definition of things and learn how to identify American political culture in our everyday lives. I think this would be a great assignment in the future. The assignment forced me to understand political culture on a deeper level.

1 comment on “Libbey Gionet

1. Lucy Penman

Hi Libbey, Thank you for your video! I think that it has a lot of American symbolism embedded into a simple commercial. I have felt less worthy than someone else, when I was growing up I was an outcast in a sense. I grew up in Northern Ireland where you are quickly grouped into being a Catholic or a Protestant I was neither and therefore I felt like I didn’t have an identity. It did teach me the importance of individualism and not fitting into a box that society has created for you. I am proud to be different and stand up for my own beliefs.